Thursday, June 18, 2009

Macau & Shenzhen: Lost in Translation II

Note: I've just moved this article from my other blog. This travel journal was actually written few months after our honeymoon last year.





Finished gambling and taking few pictures in Macau, we continued our journey to the mainland of China. :)
We crossed the sea border between two countries, which takes approximately 40 minutes by a small cruise. And we arrived at Shenzhen International Airport.

I don't know why, but since my first step in Shenzhen I had this kind of a 'weird' feeling, am a bit nervous, anxious, and the butterfly in my stomach was never stop flying around.
Later, I've found out that's a sign for me that something bad will happened to us. Believe it or not believe...

It's begun at the immigration section.
I have a problem, just because my passport was issued at Indonesia Consulate in Germany (which is no wonder because my previous passport was expired while I still live in Muenster.., so I have to renewed my passport immediately!).

They asked a lot of question about my personal datas.
Which is quite annoying..!
I mean, there's no problem at all actually...
It's stated very clear in my new passport, that my previous passport is expired so need to be canceled bla..bla..bla..., so Indonesia Consulate in Frankfurt, Germany need to issued a new one for me.

I think, they don't really understand that statement (or they don't understand English?! Only God knows...).
Why, because even after they've read it, it still doesn't make everything clear anyway.
They keep on going with their suspicious guessing ( or maybe they just have nothing to do so they making it out from my case..).
And they asked for my identity card, helloooooow since when I can't use my passport as my identity card..????
I can give them my Indonesian identity card, but what for... as if they can read in bahasa..!

After a looong interogating and debating process, finally they let me in to their country eventhough they're still unsure that I'm a good person ( I can read this very clear in their faces).
Geez...

Right after that, another bad thing happened to us
After looking around in the airport, we've been following by a chinese man who keep insist telling us to take a taxi from him.
We said no thank you several times, but the man insisted to following us wherever we go.
We've been trying to get a normal taxi, but its nowhere to find.

We asked somebody at the information service about the transportation system if we want to go to Shenzhen city.
Before she answer our question, the man speaks in Chinese with her. And then she said to us, there's no transportation accomodation from here to the city because the city is very far from here.
You only can take a taxi from here (there's no bus and there's no a normal taxi as well, according to her information..).
We don't want to believe her, but she's a person who is in charge at the information service.
What would you do, if you're at my position?

Triumphly, the man said to us that's a normal thing we don't have any choice.
He said, people always get my taxi if they want to go to the city.
And because this not kind of a normal taxi with a normal fares, so we asked him how much it cost for us to go to the city.
He said, 500 Yuan..!!! Can you believe that..???
500 Yuan just to go to Shenzhen city from the airport!
Of course we don't want it...

Again after a very looooooooooooooooooooooong bargaining, then we got 300 Yuan deal. We already tried to asked many people in the airport, but they can't speaks (or maybe they simply don't want/care..) English. So we really have no choice at all.He explained that the city is 45 km from here, that's why its expensive bla..bla..bla..

So, we decided to take that taxi ( we didn't really have any other choice at the time anyway..).
The driver wasn't the same person who had dealling with us.
The first man explained everything to the driver (in Chinese of course!), and commanded him to take us to our hotel in Shenzhen city.

But then, something really bad happened to us later on...
Soon, after we arrived at our hotel my husband gave the driver 300 Yuan according to our deal before.
Suddenly with an angry face, he's yelling to us asked for 600 Yuan!
He said that 300 Yuan is only for one person, and we have to pay him 600 Yuan.
Of course we refused to pay him 600 Yuan, because we've got the deal at 300 Yuan.

We told him, to call his friend the one who making a deal with us at the airport.
But the driver didn't want to call his friend, he just want to take the money from us.
He takes my husband's wallet, trying to get the money by him self. Luckily, my husband only has 300 Yuan + 50 $ Macau + 6000 IDR in his wallet. So we told him, that's all what we have. He pushed us to go to the bank to take the money from our visa.He locked every doors, afraid that we're going to run away from him. Even if we had a chance to do that, we're not going to run ever since our luggages were still in his bagage. I was very angry with his attitude, I told him firmly that we don't have an International account, we can't take the money from our visa, we're run out of cash, so there's no way for us to give you 600 Yuan. So just take the money and leave us alone..!

This bloody driver, finally he gave up. And he letting us go.
His slammed the car's door, banging hard on the car...
I said to my husband, to not give any shit to him.
Just show him, that we're not afraid and we don't care with all his shits..!
He almost hit my husband face actually, and he was very ANGRY to me because I'm the one who always fight against his words.
My husband was very concerned about my safety, that's why he told me to give my money to him.
But I said, NO WAY..!
I'm not going to give him more money.
He already robbing us anyway...(Later we found out, that a normal rate for taxi from the airport to the city is only 100 Yuan..!)

After he leaved us, I was very angry, and never stopped crussing that guy (and the other guy as well..)!
I tried to calmed down myself, by saying and thinking that we're still lucky that anything worse than that might be happened to us.
Thanks God for His mercy.

To be continue...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails