Monday, February 01, 2010

Julia Child's Memoir



Ooooh Goodness, I loveeee this book so much!
It's a memoir of Julia Child, beautifully written by her and her husband's (Paul Child) grandnephew, Alex Prud'homme.

This book's so real, you can feel her energy and joy through the pages.
It's so lively and delightful that as if you're a part of her soul, wandering in Paris, buying food at local markets, taking classes at the Cordon Bleu, smelling the sea air through her window in Marseille, enjoying la belle France, sipping a glass of wine while eating and cooking in her kitchen, making a diner for close friends at her holiday house in La Pitchoune, Provence, and so forth and so forth.

When you read this book, you're traveling in a time machine which bring you to her life on the years 1948 through 1954. Those years in France which she claimed as the best years of her life.
And I enjoyed every scene of her life in this book, I can feel her sadness, her happiness, even I can feel the smell of lavenders lingering on the air at her terrace in Provence. Hehehe:p I don't know, maybe it's because I'm weird, swam so deep into this book or simply because this story was so real.

I watched the movie, Julie and Julia before I've read this book.
And I found this book much muuuuuuch more interesting than the movie.
Though I also like the movie so much, the movie is based on two true stories about Julia Child and a New Yorker girl (Julie P.) who decided to give her life a new meaning as a blogger with a project called Julia Child's Project. She had tried every recipes of Julia Child cooking book in a year. What a tough project, really.

I love this book very much, it took a month for me to finish this book just because I've read it very slowly, I chewed every word, I enjoyed every place and food that she described, I simply don't want it to come to the end. Amazing! Charming and inspiring.

Soon as I finished reading this book, I asked my brother who living in USA to buy her master piece: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (1961) for me.
I'm sooooooo into all the foods she had described wonderfully in this book.
And I'd love to cook it in my own kitchen.
:)

2 comments:

Glory Sunarto said...

First, how could I miss reading this posting for so long? *weird*
Second, I wacthed the movie Julie & Julia...and love it too!
Not into the book yet, though... still don't have the time to cook! hahaha...*excuses*

Cynthia Villanueva said...

Hahahaha:D This post's already in my draft for a while. I haven't got the time to browse for the pic. This morning I've just published this post. That's why you just got the notification of this new post. LOL.
Ooooowww, if you love the movie then you should read this book. I'm sure you'll love this book as well 'ri.
:))

Related Posts with Thumbnails