Tuesday, March 09, 2010

I Think Of You

I always have a thing for beautiful or deep meaningful words.
Either its in a poem, poetry, song , book, newspaper, blog, or even a single phrase in the movie.
For me, words have a mysterious way to reveals the deepest feeling or thoughts of the writer.

When it comes to poems, poetries, books, songs, personal blogs, I categorized writers into 3 groups. Those who write from the mind, those who write from the heart, and those who write from the soul.

I always think that a beautiful poem / poetry that has written from the soul, with wisdom and reflective thought spilling through its words is the artwork.
It takes a moment and an imagination to capture the message of the poem. Just like when we're trying to capture the message / the meaning of the painting, whether its a black and white sketch or a colorful illustration. A landscape or a portrait. Both have a secretly meaning. A beautiful poem is equal to the lovely painting.

I would like to share one of my favorite poems by Goethe.
I fell in love with this poem since the first time I learn German language.

Here's the poem, first in English, and then in German (the original):

I Think of You

I think of you,
when I see the sun's shimmer
Gleaming from the sea.

I think of you,
when the moon's glimmer
Is reflected in the springs.

I see you,
when on the distant road

The dust rises,
In deep night,
when on the narrow bridge

The traveler trembles.
I hear you,
when with a dull roar
The wave surges.

In the quiet grove I often go to listen
When all is silent.

I am with you,
however far away you may be,
You are next to me!

The sun is setting,
soon the stars will shine upon me.





Ich denke dein,
wenn mir der Sonne schimmer
Vom Meere strahlt

Ich denke dein,
wenn sich des Mondes Flimmer
In Quellen malt.

Ich sehe dich,
wenn auf dem fernen Wege

Der Staub sich hebt,
In tiefer Nacht,
wenn auf dem schmalen Stege

Der Wandrer bebt.

Ich höre dich,
wenn dort mit dumpfem Rauschen

Die Welle steigt.

Im stillen Haine geh' ich oft zu lauschen,

Wenn alles schweigt.

Ich bin bei dir,
du seist auch noch so ferne,

Du bist mir nah!
Die Sonne sinkt,
bald leuchten mir die Sterne.

O wärst du da!


- J.W. Goethe -

Anyway, there's a wise old saying: The best way to learn a foreign language is to read the poetry aloud. You know poetry gets lost in translation, that's true.
You can't turn this wonderful poem into English actually, you have to turn yourself into German.

Note: The picture was taken at Cape Sounion, Greece.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails